Tuesday 16 November 2010

Life as a Londoner

It’s so easy to talk about writing a blog. “Oh, sure” I said, “the minute I get to London I’m going to start a blog and upload pictures and take lots of video footage. I’m also going to watch less TV, so I’ll have more time to volunteer and finally learn Spanish.” I figured if I’m going to start over in a new country, I might as well do it right. But in real life (or my life) that kind of thing never actually happens. It’s always the same story. I manage to get caught up in errands and activities and never seem to have enough time for anything I resolved to do. Well, I think I never have any free time, but what that really means is I’ve spent most of my afternoon watching Judge Judy reruns on the BBC, leaving no time for creative productivity.
Fortunately, I’m blessed to say that I have some amazing friends and family that didn’t let me weasel out of this one. So to those of you who believe in me, encourage me and offer your undying support, I want to say thank you. I also want to say hello to my readers (if there are any of you) and let you know that if you happen to be a book publisher, movie producer or talent scout, I would entertain the idea of turning my blog into a bestselling novel, blockbuster movie or situation comedy. Until then, on with the story…
I don’t think it’s possible to go into detail on everything that’s happened during our first two weeks in London. Besides, most of you have seen my Facebook updates and know all about the transit strike, the little mouse we found and our Sunday-funday trip to IKEA. What you don’t know, is that in terms of being the perfect tourists, I’d say we’ve rivaled the Griswalds. Here’s a list of what we can now cross off our Fromer’s list: Museum of London, Tate Modern, Buckingham Palace, Borough Market, Spitafields Market, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club, London Bridge and Picadilly and Oxford Circus. When we weren’t busy running through the Clipboard of Fun, we tried to fit in as real Londoners with a little help from some new friends. One particular invitation came from a fellow Natural Gourmet student, who had us over for a pop-up dinner in Fulham. Similar to the Friday Night Dinners we had at school, she presented a group of 16 guests with a locally-sourced three-course meal. (If you live in London or went to the NGI, become a friend of Alice’s catering company, Love a Locavore.) We also partied on a houseboat in the West End, watched “American” football in Sports Café on Haymarket Street and hung out at Madame Jojo’s in Soho.
It was a whirlwind two weeks and for a fleeting moment I wondered how it was humanly possible do so much in such a sort period of time. Then I remembered… we had a week off of work. Just when life was starting to feel like a long vacation – or better yet, retirement – it was back to the grind. Josh is working in the London office of his company and I’m doing some freelance work. But I’ll save those details for the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment